Tuesday, 9 July 2013

Top Ten Tuesday - The Best & Worst Book to Film Adaptations


I definitely love to read the book before the movie and then if I've loved reading it I really can't wait to see the film adaptation. Like every reader, I picture the characters and world in my head and all I want is for them to come alive - it's so exciting when the director and cast nail it.

When making my list I realised there weren't many that I disliked so much that I would describe them as awful so I've done the best adaptations :)

The Best
 photo week7top8_zps813b847e.png
 photo week7top2_zps29590874.png

1. Harry Potter - I loved all of them, but the first one will always be special. I could finally see the Harry Potter world from my 8 year old imagination come true and it held up really, really well - it just felt...well...magic ;) 

2. Romeo and Juliet - The Baz Luhrmann version. When I was struggling to get to grips with Shakespeare in high school, this film just made everything click into place. I finally saw why the play was so good and I became hooked. Shakespeare ended up being my favourite writer to study at uni and of course...Leonardo DiCaprio always helps!

3. Matilda - This film just perfectly captured everything special about the book. I think all book-lovers have wished that the premise of this movie would come true!

4. The Time Traveler's Wife - I loved this book so much and the film just seemed to get it. So heartbreaking and emotional. 

5. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971) - I love watching this adaptation, over and over again. It just feels as though you've jumped straight into Roald Dahl's classic. 

6. Diary of a Wimpy Kid - I think all three of these films are fantastic and really do justice to the books. They're so funny and they've really helped get my students engaged in reading as they've all been dying to read the series.

7. Shutter Island - We read this in uni and were forbidden from watching the film when it came out until we'd finishing the book. I'm glad I waited, because the book is amazing but I'm so glad the film got the tone just right - full of suspense and very creepy!

8. The Beach - Again, this really just seems to take the book and make it into the most fitting film - a very subtle yet sinister story. 

9. Bridget Jones' Diary - For me, this is both of the films. I know a lot of people don't like the second movie, but I really enjoyed it. Renée Zellweger is perfect for the part and the films definitely capture the spirit of the books. Bridget Jones really does seem to make it onto all my lists!

10. Sherlock - I love the two movies starring Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law (swoon) but the BBC TV series is definitely the best. Benedict Cumberbatch was a genius casting decision and the series really catch everything about the books.  

The Worst

Two that I have to say I hated though was Tim Burton's Alice In Wonderland and Charlie and The Chocolate Factory. Eugh!! They just felt too crazy and really ruined everything about both of these books and their previous amazing movies for me. 



I'd never realsied before how much Leonardo DiCaprio stars in book adaptations and how much I love them - and how much I hate Johnny Depp in them! 



20 comments:

  1. Good list, I loved Harry Potter as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) Such great books and movies!

      Delete
  2. I totally agree on Harry Potter and Shutter Island! Both were perfection, and I swear that Harry Potter just got better and better as time went by. I didn't really think that The Time Traveler's Wife was as good as you did, but I'm glad it found a good base of fans! Wonderful list, Hannah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think quite a few people disliked The Time Traveler's Wife so I'm in a bit of a minority hehe :) But I do love Rachel McAdams :)

      Delete
  3. I completely forgot about adding Romeo & Juliet. I loved the version you've listed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thinking of it makes me want to go and find my DVD and watch it again! :) So good!

      Delete
  4. I think they did a great job with Bridget Jones, too. Renee does such a good job as Bridget. I liked Shutter Island and love Leo, but I thought the book was amazing and was slightly disappointed in the film even though they stayed pretty faithful. Romeo + Juliet is the best. I actually just watched it the other day for the billionth time. It had been awhile. I'm definitely sensing a Leo theme. :) Great list!
    Natflix&Books' TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natalie! Yeah, Renee was so good!! And I'm really going to have to go and watch R&J again soon, it's been a while! :)

      Delete
  5. Great top ten! thanks for stopping by mine:) I forgot Bridget's Jones, I loved that movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eveline! Bridget Jones is amazing :)

      Delete
  6. Haha! I'm laughing at your Worst list. Completely agree, though, and I have absolutely nothing against Tim Burton or Johnny Depp. :) I forgot about Shakespearean adaptations, but Romeo + Juliet was such a good call!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha :)Me neither normally but those were so bad! Love Romeo and Juliet, such a good adaptation!

      Delete
  7. I can't believe I forgot about Bridget Jones's Diary - such a great book and what a fantastic movie! Honestly I'm kicking myself right now.

    Ah, I had to put The Beach on my bad-adaptations list, it has great cinematography but I didn't like what they did with the book, especially him sleeping with Tilda Swinton's character. It just felt trite to me. Loved the book though.

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh that's a shame about The Beach, but I'm glad you loved the book :) And yeah, I love Bridget Jones! Such a great character, both in the books and on screen!

      Delete
  8. Great top ten! HP is one of my favorites as well! I've seen a couple people post about shutter island too! I haven't read the book or seen the movie, but I think I have a copy of the book from my grandma at home! It's going to get bumped up in my TBR list :)

    new follower via bloglovin and twitter!

    Pagesofcomfort.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shutter Island is such an amazing read - it has so many twists that my theories about the end didn't even come close! I'm sure you'll enjoy it :) Thanks so much for the follow!!

      Delete
  9. I was noticing your Leo trend too, ha ha. He's an amazing actor! I do like Charlie and The Chocolate Factory, but Alice in Wonderland was pretty bad! It was so strange but not in a good way. I haven't see the Sherlock series yet but I want to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha he really is an amazing actor, I still need to see The Great Gatsby yet too :) Sherlock is great, so clever and witty - they really nail the characters :)

      Delete
  10. Amazing TTT list, Hannah! I totally with all of these :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. New follower :)

    Love your Top Ten list. I recently scored The "Romeo + Juliet" soundtrack for a dollar at a thrift store. I was so pumped! There's nothing like a little "Local Gods" or "Pretty Piece of Flesh" to start your morning off right!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...