Tuesday, 16 July 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Authors Who Deserve More Recognition

 photo newlogo_zps764e5216.png

I don't think I can think of ten! I feel like a lot of authors I read are well-known or already read by a wide audience, so here's my top five:

 photo week8new_zps75b4cc35.png

Clockwise from the top left:

1. Erin McCarthy - Author of True, a beautiful boy meets girl story but one which tackles deeper issues such as domestic abuse.

2. Michael Dibdin who writes The Last Sherlock Holmes Story. This book is a brilliant twist on Sherlock Holmes - it's my absolute favourite. It's based on secret papers found 50 years after Dr. Watson's death which contain information on the case Sherlock was working on at the time - Jack the Ripper. Extremely recommended! 

3. Karin Slaughter who writes the series Grant County and Will Trent. To people who love their crime fiction, she is a much-loved staple but I wish more people would read her work. I'm working my way through both of the series and I'm always left amazed by her story-telling and how she manipulates both her characters and the reader.

4. David Nicholls is mostly known for writing One Day, but his other two books, Starter for Ten and The Understudy are also brilliant books. It's a shame when an author gets great success with one book but their others are left un-read by many - and these two are real gems. 

5. Alan Gibbons who has written many, many books but that I don't see read that often in the blogosphere. I've personally only started the Hell's Underground series but they are really gripping and chilling reads. I had him as a guest author in my library last year and he's so passionate about reading and writing and he was a joy to be around. 

What are your Top Ten picks this week? Leave me a link in the comments so I can check them out! :)


11 comments:

  1. I read "One Day" when it was published and reeeally enjoyed it. It's true that the other books are left in the shadow of the most famous book. If I get a hold of the other books by him, I really need to read them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you really liked One Day then I'm sure you'll like the other two :) He's such a talented author and the other two are full of his dark humour.

      Delete
  2. I agree with David Nicholls, he deserves more recognition! Great list :)
    my TTT: http://prettylittlememoirs.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/top-ten-tuesday-authors-who-deserve.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would you believe I haven't read anything by any of these authors? Colour me nuts! Do you have a specific title I should start with, Hannah? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything by David Nicholls - he just seems to touch every emotion in you and still use his very dark humour. One Day is probably a good place to start, even if you've watched the film!
      Or, if you ever fancy some crime, definitely go for Blindsighted by Karin Slaughter - fantastic! :)

      Delete
  4. I wasn't a huge fan of True, but it was still a nice read. I do however think I will be checking out David Nicholls now. I haven't read anything by him before but his books sound interesting. Great list!

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a really hard time coming up with ten also. I agree that it seems a lot of authors do get the recognition they deserve. I am a big fan of mystery/thriller/crime writing so a lot of the books on your list are very interesting to me. Thanks for sharing about these authors! Here's my list:
    http://mrspayanreads.blogspot.com/2013/07/top-ten-authors-who-deserve-more.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked True, but that's the only book on your list I've read. I'll definitely have to check out some of these others. Thanks!

    My TTT!

    Jess @ Such A Novel Idea

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Last Sherlock Holmes Story sounds great. I need to check that out. I've wanted to read Starter for Ten for a LONG time, as I've seen and loved the film. I'm curious about the book now.

    -lauren

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed One Day! I didn't even think to read any of this other books. Maybe I'll try to read some this summer! Great list :)

    Here's my Top Ten!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...