Tuesday, 4 June 2013

Top Ten Tuesdays: Books That Feature Travel In Some Way


So sorry for neglecting this blog recently, I've been really ill and then I went away to Wales for a week for a bit of much needed R&R. But I'm back, ready to go with this week's Top Ten Tuesday! It's a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week's topic is:


TOP TEN BOOKS FEATURING TRAVEL IN SOME WAY


 photo weektwobooks1-3_zpsd01f9872.png

1. The Statistical Probability of Love as First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith - A very cute love story that follows Hadley and Oliver over a 24 hour period. They meet at JFK airport and start falling for each other as they fly together on the same plane, then subsequently lose each other when they land. 

2. The Edge of Reason by Helen Fielding - The second instalment of Bridget Jones's Diary. This one involves that hilarious scene in Italy with the Colin Firth interivew and the disastrous trip to Thailand - plenty of airport drama!

3. Uglies by Scott Westerfeld - This book follows Tally and her decision between turning into a Pretty or living hidden on the outside of a supposedly perfect world. I picked it for her different journeys throughout the book - the one she takes to reach this outside civilisation,  her journey after she flees the authorities and her secretive trespassing into the world of the Pretties - all risky and treacherous travels, but all ones that lead her closer to the truth and her decision.  


 photo weektwobooks4-6_zps80cf50f6.png

4. Almost French: A New Life in Paris by Sarah Turnbull - A beautiful memoir about the trials of moving to France, but ultimatiely, how she falls in love with the city. Some of the descriptions are truly magical, and although she needs to be feisty to navigate her new life there, you too are seduced by Paris, just as the author was.

5. The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger - Well, the clue is in the title! A gorgeous love story spanning time, age and lives - I really love this book, and I'm always excited for the scenes involving Henry and his job in the library!

6. Casa Rossa by Francesca Marciano - The scenic descriptions in this book always make me want to pack my bags and get on the next flight to Italy. The story is of Alina, a woman sorting out her grandfather's old farmhouse ready to sell on where she uncovers lost memories and secrets. We follow the story to Paris, Rome and New York as we learn the pasts of Alina's grandmother, mother and sister.

 photo weektwobooks7-10_zpse89c8653.png

7. One Perfect Summer by Paige Toon - Alice meets Joe on a holiday in Dorset - everything is perfect and their love blossoms over the summer. Alice, however, has to leave - she's off to Cambridge University and she loses touch with Joe. He comes back years later, but her life has changed so much around her that he feels unattainable now. I picked this for two reasons - the travels they both take over England, but also, I love the scenes with Alice punting around Cambridge. I can always picture the lazy days and the sound of the water lapping at the sides of the river. Perfect!

8. Yours Truly by Kirsty Greenwood - Very funny book that follows Natalie on her quest to Little Trooley in Yorkshire. One night in a pub, she's unwittingly hypnotised into a state that stops her from telling lies - even the smallest white ones. With all her inner thoughts popping out left, right and centre she takes a trip with her best friend Meg to find the hypnostist and set things right again before everything in her life is ruined.

9. The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot - Ok, so, I haven't read this in a long time - but it was one of the first to pop up in my head when I saw the theme. I can just remember that feeling of excitement every time Mia got on the plane to Genovia and she was whisked from being an ordinary girl into a beautiful princess (with all her lovely nerdy qualities intact!)

10. Shopaholic Abroad by Sophie Kinsella - Thank God for Becky Bloomwood! She always makes me feel better about splurging a little here and there, and makes me laugh whilst doing it. This is the second instalment of the 'Shopaholic' books but this time Becky is in New York.


What are your Top Ten picks? Leave a comment with your link!


17 comments:

  1. I've heard that Sophie Kinsella is a pretty good writer, I'd like to check out some of her stuff. The SPoLaFS (even the abbreviation is terribly long, lol) is on my list, too. Nice choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! SPoLaFS is such a cute book :) Definitely check out Sophie Kinsella - her writing is so funny and warm, perfect for summer!

      Delete
  2. How did I forget Uglies?! Great Top Ten!

    My TTT:
    http://evelinesbooks.blogspot.nl/2013/06/top-ten-tuesday-teaser-tuesday-2.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love that book, although it didn't automatically occur to me either :) I still need to read the rest of the series though!

      Delete
  3. Summer is a great time to read travel-themed books, I think!

    Here's my Top Ten post. Hope you'll stop by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! Makes me want to pack my bags and get away :)

      Delete
  4. I just bought 'One Perfect Summer' and I'm so excited to read it! Great list :) I love so many of these reads...
    I followed you, by the way :D
    have a nice day!
    ~Becca
    my list: http://prettylittlememoirs.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/top-ten-tuesday-featuring-travel-in.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Becca! One Perfect Summer is such a good book, it's one of my all time faves :)

      Delete
  5. You included some of my favorites--love The Princess Diaries, The Pretties/Uglies series, and The Time Traveler's Wife!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked them! It makes me want to go back and read The Princess Diaries all over again :)

      Delete
  6. I really need to read the Uglies series! I've heard that it's amazing but I still haven't picked it up *facepalm* great picks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me quite a while to pick it up too, and I still haven't read the rest of the series yet! Ooops! But you should definitely check it out, the first one is really good :)

      Delete
  7. One Perfect Summer sounds very tempting to me! And I've been meaning to read Uglies forever. Here's my list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One Perfect Summer is an amazing book, very sweet :) And yeah, definitely have a look at Uglies, I still need to read the others but the first one is really good!

      Delete
  8. I sometimes feel like the only adult in America who hasn't read The Time Travelers Wife. I love the Princess diary books, good pick! Thanks for visiting my TTT.

    LisaILJ @ I’ll Tumble for YA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a great read if you ever get around to it :) It would be great for a summer day! Hah, yeah I love the Princess Diaries, I think I'm going to have a guilty pleasure day and go back and re-read them!

      Delete
  9. This is a great list Hannah! I can't believe I missed off The Princess Diaries and Shopaholic Abroad off my list, I absolutely love those books! Brilliant picks! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...