Friday, 7 June 2013

Review - True by Erin McCarthy

True by Erin McCarthy
Published: 7th May 2013 by Penguin Group USA
Source: NetGalley

When Rory Macintosh’s roommates find out that their studious and shy friend has never been with a guy, they decide that, as an act of kindness they’ll help her lose her virginity by hiring confident, tattooed bad boy Tyler Mann to do the job…unbeknownst to Rory.

Tyler knows he’s not good enough for Rory. She’s smart, doctor smart, while he’s barely scraping by at his EMT program, hoping to pull his younger brothers out of the hell their druggy mother has left them in. But he can’t resist taking up her roommates on an opportunity to get to know her better. There’s something about her honesty that keeps him coming back when he knows he shouldn’t…

Torn between common sense and desire, the two find themselves caught up in a passionate relationship. But when Tyler’s broken family threatens to destroy his future, and hers, Rory will need to decide whether to cut her ties to his risky world or follow her heart, no matter what the cost… [Goodreads]

True completely had me hooked from page one, and to tell you the truth, I was surprised. Pleasantly surprised. I had been expecting the same old tale of girl meets damaged boy and although I realise this is the exact premise of this book, it still felt fresh, exciting and dramatic. 

The sub-stories of Kylie, Jess and Nathan added a really enjoyable depth to the story, I loved Kylie's interactions with Rory, they were so sweet! I loved how the group of friends all stuck by each other and their friendships felt grounded and real. I can't wait to find out more about Jess in McCarthy's second book! The strand of the story involving Tyler and his brothers made the book for me. The snippets of Tyler's life were heartbreaking, and his relationship with his brothers was so touching and felt so genuine. I also really loved reading about Rory's dad and Susan, even though they only appeared for short bursts at a time, they definitely made me smile. 

Rory and Tyler were beautiful together, the more I read the more I rooted for them. I loved finding small bits out about them both, things that explained who they were and why they acted certain ways. I came away feeling warm, but I feel like I really need to know more about what happens after the end of the book. I really hope we can revisit them later!! 

The only gripes I had was Grant and his part in the book from the start - it felt a bit added on and was never really explored, I felt it maybe could have been cut out. I also really don't like the fact that Tyler smokes so much, argh - the smell Rory must have to deal with, yuck! 

Overall though, I loved the book and would definitely recommend it. I hope McCarthy comes back with more very soon!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...