Thursday, 13 June 2013

Review - The Rules for Disappearing by Ashley Elston

The Rules for Disappearing by Ashley Elston
Published: May 14th 2013 by Disney-Hyperion
Source: NetGalley

She’s been six different people in six different places: Madeline in Ohio, Isabelle in Missouri, Olivia in Kentucky . . . But now that she’s been transplanted to rural Louisiana, she has decided that this fake identity will be her last.


Witness Protection has taken nearly everything from her. But for now, they’ve given her a new name, Megan Rose Jones, and a horrible hair color. For the past eight months, Meg has begged her father to answer one question: What on earth did he do – or see – that landed them in this god-awful mess? Meg has just about had it with all the Suits’ rules — and her dad’s silence. If he won’t help, it’s time she got some answers for herself.

But Meg isn’t counting on Ethan Landry, an adorable Louisiana farm boy who’s too smart for his own good. He knows Meg is hiding something big. And it just might get both of them killed. As they embark on a perilous journey to free her family once and for all, Meg discovers that there’s only one rule that really matters — survival. [Goodreads]

This book started too slowly for my liking, in fact, it's taken me quite a long time to make my way through it. Having said that though, it definitely picked up in the last quarter and I raced through it then to the end. 

I really liked Meg, especially in her scenes with her little sister - their relationship was so sweet and genuine to read, it made me want to visit my own little sister just to give her a big hug! I also really enjoyed the romance that was interwoven with the story, it was probably my favourite part of the whole book. Her relationship with Ethan did happen rather fast, but for once I didn't care - Ethan was adorable! Damn that dimple! 


On the other hand, the mystery just didn't make me feel much of anything or really have any page-turning qualities about it. Even though I raced through the end, I had already worked out the secret a while before and I just wanted to see how it would pan out in the final few pages. I did like how it was left though, with most of it tied together apart from a few strands that will lead nicely into the sequel. To be honest though, I don't know if I'll read the second book - I needed more excitement and was left disappointed after eagerly anticipating this one. 


Overall, it was OK - the romance and Meg's relationship with her family made it much better, but I was expecting a thrilling mystery and didn't feel that I got it. 

                       

2 comments:

  1. I've wondered a lot about this one because I really love the premise. It reminds me of a show I used to like called In Plain Sight. I think I might still give it a go, but I'll keep my expectations in check. Wonderful review, Hannah :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was so intrigued by it too! Definitely give it a go, I think quite a lot of people have really enjoyed it :)

      Just Googled In Plain Sight - how have I never heard of this!? I'll have to check it out! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...