Wednesday, 15 May 2013

Waiting On Wednesday (1)

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Breaking The Spine which highlights upcoming releases we can't wait to read!

This week's selection is:

When You Were Here by Daisy Whitney

Publication date: 4th June 2013

Danny's mother lost her five-year battle with cancer three weeks before his graduation-the one day that she was hanging on to see.

Now Danny is left alone, with only his memories, his dog, and his heart-breaking ex-girlfriend for company. He doesn't know how to figure out what to do with her estate, what to say for his Valedictorian speech, let alone how to live or be happy anymore.

When he gets a letter from his mom's property manager in Tokyo, where she had been going for treatment, it shows a side of his mother he never knew. So, with no other sense of direction, Danny travels to Tokyo to connect with his mother's memory and make sense of her final months, which seemed filled with more joy than Danny ever knew. There, among the cherry blossoms, temples, and crowds, and with the help of an almost-but-definitely-not Harajuku girl, he begins to see how it may not have been ancient magic or mystical treatment that kept his mother going. Perhaps, the secret of how to live lies in how she died. [Goodreads]



Why I'm Waiting? 

This sounds incredible! I don't usually make it my mission to read books about cancer - there's been the odd few but they're usually too heartbreaking for me, but I'm definitely intrigued by this one. It's also been a while since I read a book from the point of view of the male protagonist so I'm really excited about this release. 

14 comments:

  1. I don't read a lot of cancer books (The Fault In Our Stars was the only one) but this does look interesting. Thanks fro stopping by my WoW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've only read The Fault in Our Stars and My Sister's Keeper! They're so sad :( This sounded too good to pass up though :)

      Delete
  2. I've seen this one around. It looks good...but so, so sad. I don't know if I can do it. I'm sure it will be awesome.
    New follower via Bloglovin.
    Natflix&Books' WoW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! I'm approaching it slowly and carefully...I know it's going to cause pain but I really want to read it!

      Delete
  3. I'm not much of a realistic fiction kind of person, but this does sound really intense! New Bloglovin follower.
    Check out my WOW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I haven't read a book like this in quite a while. Thanks for the follow!

      Delete
  4. It does sound very good, hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was my pick for last week! Great choice!

    WOW
    Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh thank you! Great minds :)

      Delete
  6. Great choice! I can't wait for this either : )

    my WOW and giveaway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm really excited :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...