Tuesday, 14 May 2013

Top Ten Tuesdays: Dealing with Tough Subjects


 photo logo_zps80fa02cf.png


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week's topic is:

TOP TEN BOOKS DEALING WITH TOUGH SUBJECTS

 photo weekonebooks1-3_zpsf950cace.png

1. Easy by Tammara Webber - This deals with quite a lot of different issues that are revealed throughout the book so I don't want to give away any spoilers. It does, however, start off with an assault scene involving the main character and a frat boy and the book continues to explore how she deals with her terrifying ordeal. 

2. Hopeless by Colleen Hoover - A heartbreaking tale of love, secrets, lies and a twist that will turn your stomach. 

3. The Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult - This explores the issues surrounding the alleged rape of 14 year old Trixie, and how reactions to the assault are not always as they seem or should be. 

 photo weekonebooks4-6_zps8a62250d.png

4. Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë - This classic includes a wild love affair, family bullying, revenge, violence and abuse - all set on the background of the of the moorland - truly haunting. 

5. The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion - Featuring Don, an associate professor of genetics suffering from Asperger's - this story appears light-hearted on the surface due to the humour, but underneath you find a man trying to deal with the chaos of finding someone to love whilst battling with everyday social dynamics. 

6. True by Erin McCarthy - Story following the relationship between shy Rory and bad boy Tyler. But Tyler is hiding secrets from all his friends and learning how to grow up too fast. 

 photo weekonebooks7-10_zps05219b38.png

7. The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides - This book explores the story behind the Lisbon sisters and their suicides, told through the memories of the boys who lived on their street and worshipped everything about them. Disturbing yet beautiful, the story looks at abuse, hopelessness and the effect of suicide on those left behind. 

8. The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden by Jessica Sorensen - Explores the past of Callie and Kayden and all the secrets they've kept hidden from their childhoods. They come together in a passionate relationship as they try to heal and save each other. Be warned - it ends on a cliffhanger!

9. Whatever You Love by Louise Doughty - This book follows the story of Laura's revenge after her daughter Betty is killed in a hit-and-run. The courts don't provide the justice she needs to she sets off to seek it herself. 

10. Slammed by Colleen Hoover - Another CH, but I love her so much! This is one of my all time favourite books, so I'm ending on a high (albeit a slightly depressing high). It covers many, many issues that come between families and love but I don't want to give them away too much and spoil the book. It mainly looks at loss, death and forbidden love. 



10 comments:

  1. Every Jodi Picoult would be on a list like this! All of her books deal with painful subjects.

    Here's my list of top ten books that deal with tough subjects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree. I wanted to include her on the list though and I chose this particular one as it fitted in with some of my other picks ie. involving a young main character.

      Delete
  2. I had The Coincidence of Callie & Kayden, Slammed and Easy on my list too. The NA genre is rife with tough subjects, isn't it?

    Here's my list this week --> TTT @ Krista's Dust Jacket

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! I love those three books - brilliant writing and storylines!

      Delete
  3. I've got Easy on my list too. That's a wonderful book! I plan to read Hopeless soon too. Great list!
    Thanks for stopping by my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopeless is amazing! I'm sure you won't be disappointed :)

      Delete
  4. I really want to read something by Colleen Hoover, she sounds amazing:) And you have a wonderful blog, I love it!
    Esty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! :) Colleen Hoover really is amazing - I'd start off with the Slammed series :)

      Delete
  5. I forgot about The Virgin Suicides, thanks for reminding me of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so beautiful - the writing was so dreamlike, I haven't read anything like that in a long time :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...